NCAA Compliance Coordinator
Compliance Coordinator Responsibilities and Duties. The Compliance Coordinator reports to the Director of Athletics and works closely with both the Director of Athletics and the Faculty Athletics Representative, to: (1) ensure compliance with all Western Washington University, conference, and NCAA rules and regulations governing intercollegiate athletics; (2) monitor eligibility of student-athletes; and, (3) communicate with the NCAA and conference about rules interpretations and compliance matters.
The duties of the Compliance Coordinator address administration and reporting, rules education; eligibility, recruitment, and admissions; and, investigation.
- remain current with and uphold the rules and regulations of the University, conferences of which Western is a member, and the NCAA.
- participate in the development and review of University policies and procedures regarding compliance matters; assist in monitoring and assessing the effectiveness of the compliance practices of the athletics department.
- advise the Director of Athletics and Faculty Athletics Representative on compliance related matters.
- maintain current records for all compliance area, including team rosters.
- serve as a liaison with the NCAA and conference with regard to rules interpretations and compliance matters; provide rules interpretations for the athletics programs.
- perform compliance audits as requested by the Director of Athletics and the Faculty Athletics Representative.
- serve as a member of the Compliance Committee.
- provide periodic reports related to matters of academic integrity, academic preparation and performance of student-athletes, rules compliance or violations, and other matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program.
- conduct periodic reviews of records for accuracy and to ensure appropriate and complete documentation.
- conduct periodic reviews of the mechanisms used to monitor the hourly and weekly limitations on athletically related activities.
- perform additional duties and special projects as directed by the Director of Athletics and the Faculty Athletics Representative.
- educate student-athletes, coaches, athletics administrators and staff, and others having relationships with the athletics program (alumni, non athletics department university personnel, and representatives of athletics interests) about University, conferences, and NCAA rules and regulations.
- contribute to the continuing education of faculty and other members of the university community by providing information and insight about NCAA or conference processes, pending legislation or other important issues.
- attend annual regional NCAA sponsored rules seminars.
- participate in the development and maintenance of student-athlete handbook.
- participate in new student-athletic orientation activities.
- monitor the eligibility status of all student-athletes; monitor all eligibility functions and staff work involving eligibility to ensure that all certifications for both initial and continuing academic eligibility have been performed correctly, and with adequate documentation.
- determine the NCAA qualifier status of prospective student-athletes prior to any offer of athletically-related financial aid, including potential admissibility to the University and explanation for denial of a National Letter of Intent.
- approve requests for National Letters of Intent.
- prepare petitions for restoration of eligibility, as merited, providing required notice to the Faculty Athletics Representative, the Director of Athletics, and the NCAA.
- be involved in the preparations of requests for waiver or appeals from NCAA regulation or process; be involved in conference decisions that relate to waivers of conference eligibility requirements, especially academic requirements.
- investigate transfer and possible transfer student-athletes through contacts with other institutions; oversee the requesting and granting of releases from other institutions.
- work with representatives of financial aid to determine the student-athlete's eligibility for summer sessions and a post-eligibility year.
- approve campus visitations for prospective student-athletes. serve as the athletics department liaison with the Admissions Office in monitoring the admission status of new and continuing student-athletes.
- monitor and review all recruiting activities for adherence to University, conference and NCAA rules and regulations.
- maintain completed student drug testing release forms and records.
- participate in investigations in which minor, secondary or major rules violations may have been committed.
- investigate and report to the Compliance Committee all actions taken on alleged minor rules violations.
- work with the Faculty Athletics Representative to report all secondary and major violations to the NCAA.
Vikings Cap Regular Season With 92-81 Win at...
Vikings finish the regular season with 21-7 overall record and in 2nd place in the GNAC at 16-4
WWU Competes at SPU Final Qualifier
J.T. Konrad improves NCAA II provisional pole vault mark with personal-best effort
WWU Falls 76-63 to MSU Billings in Season Finale
Vikings come up just shy of GNAC Championships berth as Yellowjackets pull away after halftime
Men's Golf Opens Spring Season at Bay Area Invite
The Vikings will be aiming for their 20th consecutive trip to the NCAA Division II Championships
Women's Golf Opens Spring Season at Lancer Joust
Vikings will play three spring tournaments leading up to GNAC Championships in late April
Vikings Fall to No. 4 Western Oregon 89-73
Daulton Hommes scores game-high 21 points while going 11-for-12 from the free throw line
Trey Drechsel Earns Academic All-District Honor
Drechsel honored for academic excellence with cumulative 3.53 GPA as a Business Management major
WWU Returns to Action at SPU Final Qualifier
The SPU Final Qualifier is scheduled to begin at 4 pm on Saturday in Dempsey Indoor
Mia Powers Joins WWU Women's Soccer Program
Powers is an attacking midfielder that joins the program after redshirting at Minnesota last season
Comeback Falls Just Short in 79-77 Loss at SFU
Anna Schwecke scores career-high 28 points on 13-for-17 shooting in the tough loss
WWU Travels to Simon Fraser, Hosts MSU Billings
Vikings enter final week of regular season vying for GNAC Championships berth
Men's Hoops Closes Out Regular Season in Oregon
Vikings take 5-game winning streak into final week of the regular season
WWU Edged 78-76 by NNU in Overtime Thriller
Vikings force overtime with late 3-pointer, NNU pulls ahead in final minute of overtime
Vikings Place 5th in Both Men's and Women's...
Jasmine McMullin becomes three-time triple jump champion with NCAA AQ, Tupre Wickliff wins high jump
Defensive Vikings Shut Down Alaska Fairbanks 70-60
WWU records fourth consecutive win to reach 20 victories for the sixth time in last seven seasons
- Top Videos