Faculty Athletics Representative
Faculty Athletics Representative
Faculty Athletics Representative. The Faculty Athletics Representative is a member of the faculty appointed by the President to represent Western Washington University and its faculty in relationships with the NCAA and conferences of which the University is a member. The Faculty Athletics Representative reports directly to the President. The faculty's voice and influence regarding intercollegiate athletics are channeled primarily through the Faculty Athletics Representative.
Faculty Athletics Representative Responsibilities and Duties. The Faculty Athletics Representative plays a key role in oversight of athletics programs, working to ensure the academic integrity of the athletics program and the welfare of student-athletes.
The duties of the Faculty Athletics Representative focus on administration, compliance, education, and student-athlete welfare.
- advise the President on matters of intercollegiate athletics, providing a voice that reflects the traditional values of the faculty and which is rooted in the academic ethic of the institution.
- represent the institution to the NCAA and to athletics conferences; serve as a delegate to the annual NCAA convention and attend any special meetings of the NCAA; serve as the institution's voting designate in the absence of the president.
- serve as a member of institutional, conference, and NCAA committees that influence policies and procedures regarding athletics programs.
- participate on search committees for senior athletics department administrators and head coaches.
- conduct an annual evaluation of the compliance coordinator.
- periodically review appropriate records to ensure that decisions related to admissions, academic advising, evaluation of academic performance and the extent of academic support services are consistent with the primary academic mission of the institution.
- together with the athletics administration, ensure that appropriate standards of student-athlete conduct are established (for both on- and off-campus behavior), clearly communicated and consistently enforced.
- provide periodic reports regarding matters of academic integrity, academic preparation and performance of student-athletes, rules compliance or violations, and other matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program.
- together with the President and director of athletics, develop a comprehensive plan for the institutional control of athletics and ensure that appropriate and explicit assignments of both responsibility and authority are made.
- assume joint responsibility with the director of athletics for ensuring compliance with all NCAA, conference and institutional rules; maintain oversight of compliance-related activities undertaken within the athletics department and coordination of the compliance-related activities of campus units located outside the athletics department.
- monitor and assess the effectiveness of the compliance practices of the athletics department.
- chair the athletics compliance committee.
- maintain current knowledge regarding the NCAA and conference rules related to academic eligibility, transfer requirements, and restrictions and enforcement procedures.
- attend annual regional rules seminars.
- make requests of the NCAA staff regarding rules interpretations.
- ensure that the institution has in place effective mechanisms for evaluating whether student-athletes have met all of the academic eligibility requirements for practice, financial aid and intercollegiate competition established by the NCAA, the conference and the institution.
- ensure that all certifications for both initial and continuing academic eligibility have been performed correctly, and with adequate documentation.
- be involved in the preparation of requests for waiver or appeals from NCAA regulation or process; be involved in conference decisions regarding waivers of conference eligibility requirements, especially academic requirements.
- review periodic audits of the athletics department; conduct periodic reviews of the mechanisms used to monitor the hourly and weekly limitations on athletically related activities.
- conduct periodic reviews of records for accuracy and to ensure appropriate and complete documentation.
- participate in investigations in which minor, secondary or major rules violations may have been committed; report all secondary and major violations to the NCAA; be involved in the preparation and review of written reports of infractions that are made to the conference or to the NCAA.
- contribute to the continuing education of faculty and other members of the university community by providing information and insight about NCAA or conference processes, pending legislation or related issues.
- report to appropriate university bodies regarding the operation of the athletics program.
- serve as a conduit of information to and from the faculty and the athletics program.
- participate in rules education efforts at Western Washington University.
- ensure that individuals performing certifications are fully aware of relevant NCAA legislation and interpretations.
- monitor and help maintain the personal welfare of student-athletes; review information regarding the academic well-being of the student-athlete.
- promote balance between academics, athletics and the social lives of student-athletes, which affords opportunities to enjoy the full range of collegiate experiences available to students generally.
- assume an advisory and reporting role with respect to the academic preparation and performance of student-athletes; ensure that academic services are available to student- athletes.
- be aware of the academic credentials of the entering student-athletes, the academic attainment of continuing students and the rates at which student-athletes graduate from the institution.
- have direct contact with student-athletes on a systemic and periodic basis; serve as an independent source of support and advice to student-athletes.
- be alert to conditions that affect the health of student-athletes and ready to aid in referral to appropriate university resources.
- participate in new student-athletic orientation activities.
- facilitate student-athlete participation on athletics boards and committees.
- meet on a regular basis with student-athlete committees.
- take part in or review the results of exit interviews with student-athletes.
- coordinate the nominations process for NCAA postgraduate scholarships.
- discuss conference schedules of contests to assess their impact on academic welfare of student-athletes.
- review travel and competition schedules to minimize missed class time for student-athletes.
- review athletics scholarship cancellations or reductions which might inappropriately limit opportunities for student-athletes to complete their degrees.
Men's Hoops Hosts Chuck Randall Classic
Vikings take on UC San Diego and Capilano in Carver Gym during Thanksgiving holiday tournament
Five Vikings Earn D2CCA All-West Region Honors
Vikings place four players on First Team, one player on Second Team
Pair of Thanksgiving Tournaments Hosted in...
WWU will host the Chuck Randall Classic and Lynda Goodrich Classic in Carver Gym
Vikings Announced as No. 2 Seed in NCAA II...
WWU will take 18-match winning streak up against GNAC rival Alaska Anchorage in the first round...
Phelps and Hall Sweep GNAC Volleyball Awards
Abby Phelps named GNAC Co-Offensive Player of the Week and Michaela Hall earns defensive award
Carver Memories -- Nov. 3, 1979
Locker first to reach 4,000 career rushing yards
Winning Streak Reaches 18 Straight for the Vikings
WWU ends regular season with 3-0 sweep over Central Washington on Senior Night
Vikings Fall 84-68 to Azusa Pacific at West...
Hannah Stipanovich scores 20 points, Anna Schwecke and Gracie Castaneda add 13 apiece
Vikings Edged 2-0 by UCSD in West Regional Final
WWU finishes season 18-2-0 while making sixth consecutive NCAA Championships appearance
WWU Falls 56-49 Against UC San Diego at West...
Hannah Stipanovich scores 13 points, grabs career-high 14 rebounds for Vikings
Vikings Clinch GNAC Championship with Sweep...
Vikings clinch eighth GNAC title with 25-22, 25-21, 25-19 victory over No. 13 Northwest Nazarene
WWU Athletics Honored For Academic Excellence
WWU Athletics records a 90% Academic Success Rate to rank among top 32 Division II programs in...
Vikings Ready to Defend West Regional Title
WWU women's soccer takes on UC San Diego Friday night in La Jolla, Calif.
Strong Second Half Lifts Vikings to Comfortable...
Daulton Hommes scores game-high 26 points in 108-81 win over Douglas College
No. 5 Volleyball Eyes GNAC Title With Key Home ...
Vikings take 16-match winning streak into home tilts vs. NNU and CWU