Faculty Athletics Representative
Faculty Athletics Representative
Faculty Athletics Representative. The Faculty Athletics Representative is a member of the faculty appointed by the President to represent Western Washington University and its faculty in relationships with the NCAA and conferences of which the University is a member. The Faculty Athletics Representative reports directly to the President. The faculty's voice and influence regarding intercollegiate athletics are channeled primarily through the Faculty Athletics Representative.
Faculty Athletics Representative Responsibilities and Duties. The Faculty Athletics Representative plays a key role in oversight of athletics programs, working to ensure the academic integrity of the athletics program and the welfare of student-athletes.
The duties of the Faculty Athletics Representative focus on administration, compliance, education, and student-athlete welfare.
- advise the President on matters of intercollegiate athletics, providing a voice that reflects the traditional values of the faculty and which is rooted in the academic ethic of the institution.
- represent the institution to the NCAA and to athletics conferences; serve as a delegate to the annual NCAA convention and attend any special meetings of the NCAA; serve as the institution's voting designate in the absence of the president.
- serve as a member of institutional, conference, and NCAA committees that influence policies and procedures regarding athletics programs.
- participate on search committees for senior athletics department administrators and head coaches.
- conduct an annual evaluation of the compliance coordinator.
- periodically review appropriate records to ensure that decisions related to admissions, academic advising, evaluation of academic performance and the extent of academic support services are consistent with the primary academic mission of the institution.
- together with the athletics administration, ensure that appropriate standards of student-athlete conduct are established (for both on- and off-campus behavior), clearly communicated and consistently enforced.
- provide periodic reports regarding matters of academic integrity, academic preparation and performance of student-athletes, rules compliance or violations, and other matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program.
- together with the President and director of athletics, develop a comprehensive plan for the institutional control of athletics and ensure that appropriate and explicit assignments of both responsibility and authority are made.
- assume joint responsibility with the director of athletics for ensuring compliance with all NCAA, conference and institutional rules; maintain oversight of compliance-related activities undertaken within the athletics department and coordination of the compliance-related activities of campus units located outside the athletics department.
- monitor and assess the effectiveness of the compliance practices of the athletics department.
- chair the athletics compliance committee.
- maintain current knowledge regarding the NCAA and conference rules related to academic eligibility, transfer requirements, and restrictions and enforcement procedures.
- attend annual regional rules seminars.
- make requests of the NCAA staff regarding rules interpretations.
- ensure that the institution has in place effective mechanisms for evaluating whether student-athletes have met all of the academic eligibility requirements for practice, financial aid and intercollegiate competition established by the NCAA, the conference and the institution.
- ensure that all certifications for both initial and continuing academic eligibility have been performed correctly, and with adequate documentation.
- be involved in the preparation of requests for waiver or appeals from NCAA regulation or process; be involved in conference decisions regarding waivers of conference eligibility requirements, especially academic requirements.
- review periodic audits of the athletics department; conduct periodic reviews of the mechanisms used to monitor the hourly and weekly limitations on athletically related activities.
- conduct periodic reviews of records for accuracy and to ensure appropriate and complete documentation.
- participate in investigations in which minor, secondary or major rules violations may have been committed; report all secondary and major violations to the NCAA; be involved in the preparation and review of written reports of infractions that are made to the conference or to the NCAA.
- contribute to the continuing education of faculty and other members of the university community by providing information and insight about NCAA or conference processes, pending legislation or related issues.
- report to appropriate university bodies regarding the operation of the athletics program.
- serve as a conduit of information to and from the faculty and the athletics program.
- participate in rules education efforts at Western Washington University.
- ensure that individuals performing certifications are fully aware of relevant NCAA legislation and interpretations.
- monitor and help maintain the personal welfare of student-athletes; review information regarding the academic well-being of the student-athlete.
- promote balance between academics, athletics and the social lives of student-athletes, which affords opportunities to enjoy the full range of collegiate experiences available to students generally.
- assume an advisory and reporting role with respect to the academic preparation and performance of student-athletes; ensure that academic services are available to student- athletes.
- be aware of the academic credentials of the entering student-athletes, the academic attainment of continuing students and the rates at which student-athletes graduate from the institution.
- have direct contact with student-athletes on a systemic and periodic basis; serve as an independent source of support and advice to student-athletes.
- be alert to conditions that affect the health of student-athletes and ready to aid in referral to appropriate university resources.
- participate in new student-athletic orientation activities.
- facilitate student-athlete participation on athletics boards and committees.
- meet on a regular basis with student-athlete committees.
- take part in or review the results of exit interviews with student-athletes.
- coordinate the nominations process for NCAA postgraduate scholarships.
- discuss conference schedules of contests to assess their impact on academic welfare of student-athletes.
- review travel and competition schedules to minimize missed class time for student-athletes.
- review athletics scholarship cancellations or reductions which might inappropriately limit opportunities for student-athletes to complete their degrees.
Comeback Falls Just Short in 79-77 Loss at SFU
Anna Schwecke scores career-high 28 points on 13-for-17 shooting in the tough loss
WWU Travels to Simon Fraser, Hosts MSU Billings
Vikings enter final week of regular season vying for GNAC Championships berth
Men's Hoops Closes Out Regular Season in Oregon
Vikings take 5-game winning streak into final week of the regular season
WWU Edged 78-76 by NNU in Overtime Thriller
Vikings force overtime with late 3-pointer, NNU pulls ahead in final minute of overtime
Vikings Place 5th in Both Men's and Women's...
Jasmine McMullin becomes three-time triple jump champion with NCAA AQ, Tupre Wickliff wins high jump
Defensive Vikings Shut Down Alaska Fairbanks 70-60
WWU records fourth consecutive win to reach 20 victories for the sixth time in last seven seasons
McMullin Wins Long Jump at GNAC Indoor...
WWU women are 4th, WWU men are 6th after first day at conference meet
WWU and Bellingham Selected as Host for 2019...
WECU Court at Carver Gym will host the 2019 GNAC Basketball Championships March 7-9, 2019
Second-Half Surge Lifts Vikings to 66-56 Win...
Deandre Dickson leads the way with 17-point, 7-rebound performance
Vikings Take Down Central Washington 67-59
Hannah Stipanovich scores game-high 19 points, WWU win for fifth time over last six games
Track & Field Set for GNAC Indoor Championships
The Vikings compete at the conference meet on Friday and Saturday in Idaho
Trio of Vikings Named GNAC All-Academic
Trevor Jasinsky, Trey Drechsel and Daulton Hommes honored by conference for academic performance
Trio of Vikings Named to GNAC All-Academic Team
Hannah Stipanovich, Amanda Lance and Lexie Bland honored by conference
Vikings to Host Central Washington and...
WWU faces CWU on Thursday, NNU on Saturday in GNAC matchups
Men's Basketball to Hold Reunion for 1987-88 Team
1987-88 Vikings reached the second round of the NAIA National Tournament and went 28-8 overall
- Top Videos