Faculty Athletics Representative
Faculty Athletics Representative
Faculty Athletics Representative. The Faculty Athletics Representative is a member of the faculty appointed by the President to represent Western Washington University and its faculty in relationships with the NCAA and conferences of which the University is a member. The Faculty Athletics Representative reports directly to the President. The faculty's voice and influence regarding intercollegiate athletics are channeled primarily through the Faculty Athletics Representative.
Faculty Athletics Representative Responsibilities and Duties. The Faculty Athletics Representative plays a key role in oversight of athletics programs, working to ensure the academic integrity of the athletics program and the welfare of student-athletes.
The duties of the Faculty Athletics Representative focus on administration, compliance, education, and student-athlete welfare.
- advise the President on matters of intercollegiate athletics, providing a voice that reflects the traditional values of the faculty and which is rooted in the academic ethic of the institution.
- represent the institution to the NCAA and to athletics conferences; serve as a delegate to the annual NCAA convention and attend any special meetings of the NCAA; serve as the institution's voting designate in the absence of the president.
- serve as a member of institutional, conference, and NCAA committees that influence policies and procedures regarding athletics programs.
- participate on search committees for senior athletics department administrators and head coaches.
- conduct an annual evaluation of the compliance coordinator.
- periodically review appropriate records to ensure that decisions related to admissions, academic advising, evaluation of academic performance and the extent of academic support services are consistent with the primary academic mission of the institution.
- together with the athletics administration, ensure that appropriate standards of student-athlete conduct are established (for both on- and off-campus behavior), clearly communicated and consistently enforced.
- provide periodic reports regarding matters of academic integrity, academic preparation and performance of student-athletes, rules compliance or violations, and other matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program.
- together with the President and director of athletics, develop a comprehensive plan for the institutional control of athletics and ensure that appropriate and explicit assignments of both responsibility and authority are made.
- assume joint responsibility with the director of athletics for ensuring compliance with all NCAA, conference and institutional rules; maintain oversight of compliance-related activities undertaken within the athletics department and coordination of the compliance-related activities of campus units located outside the athletics department.
- monitor and assess the effectiveness of the compliance practices of the athletics department.
- chair the athletics compliance committee.
- maintain current knowledge regarding the NCAA and conference rules related to academic eligibility, transfer requirements, and restrictions and enforcement procedures.
- attend annual regional rules seminars.
- make requests of the NCAA staff regarding rules interpretations.
- ensure that the institution has in place effective mechanisms for evaluating whether student-athletes have met all of the academic eligibility requirements for practice, financial aid and intercollegiate competition established by the NCAA, the conference and the institution.
- ensure that all certifications for both initial and continuing academic eligibility have been performed correctly, and with adequate documentation.
- be involved in the preparation of requests for waiver or appeals from NCAA regulation or process; be involved in conference decisions regarding waivers of conference eligibility requirements, especially academic requirements.
- review periodic audits of the athletics department; conduct periodic reviews of the mechanisms used to monitor the hourly and weekly limitations on athletically related activities.
- conduct periodic reviews of records for accuracy and to ensure appropriate and complete documentation.
- participate in investigations in which minor, secondary or major rules violations may have been committed; report all secondary and major violations to the NCAA; be involved in the preparation and review of written reports of infractions that are made to the conference or to the NCAA.
- contribute to the continuing education of faculty and other members of the university community by providing information and insight about NCAA or conference processes, pending legislation or related issues.
- report to appropriate university bodies regarding the operation of the athletics program.
- serve as a conduit of information to and from the faculty and the athletics program.
- participate in rules education efforts at Western Washington University.
- ensure that individuals performing certifications are fully aware of relevant NCAA legislation and interpretations.
- monitor and help maintain the personal welfare of student-athletes; review information regarding the academic well-being of the student-athlete.
- promote balance between academics, athletics and the social lives of student-athletes, which affords opportunities to enjoy the full range of collegiate experiences available to students generally.
- assume an advisory and reporting role with respect to the academic preparation and performance of student-athletes; ensure that academic services are available to student- athletes.
- be aware of the academic credentials of the entering student-athletes, the academic attainment of continuing students and the rates at which student-athletes graduate from the institution.
- have direct contact with student-athletes on a systemic and periodic basis; serve as an independent source of support and advice to student-athletes.
- be alert to conditions that affect the health of student-athletes and ready to aid in referral to appropriate university resources.
- participate in new student-athletic orientation activities.
- facilitate student-athlete participation on athletics boards and committees.
- meet on a regular basis with student-athlete committees.
- take part in or review the results of exit interviews with student-athletes.
- coordinate the nominations process for NCAA postgraduate scholarships.
- discuss conference schedules of contests to assess their impact on academic welfare of student-athletes.
- review travel and competition schedules to minimize missed class time for student-athletes.
- review athletics scholarship cancellations or reductions which might inappropriately limit opportunities for student-athletes to complete their degrees.
Men's Golf Set to Defend GNAC Championships Title
WWU opens championships play Monday at Coeur d'Alene Golf Resort
Softball Endures Pair of One-Run Losses at...
WWU lets lead slip away in pair of close defeats in GNAC play
Taylor Posts Provisional Qualifier at Beach...
Junior Maddie Taylor clears 1.70m (5-7) in the high jump as Vikings close out final day of...
Vikings Bounce Back With Solid Race at Stanford...
WWU falls in all three races to No. 1 Stanford Lightweights, but Coach Fuchs liked his team’...
WWU Adds Provisional-Qualifying Marks Friday at...
Tupre Wickliff and Kyler Sager post provisional qualifiers, Natalie Vetto improves upon...
Vikings Fall to MSUB 4-1 in GNAC Play
Rylie Wales goes 1-for-2 with a Sac Fly to extend hitting streak
Vikings Match Up Against Stanford Lightweights ...
Vikings and Cardinal will race Saturday morning at Redwood Shores in Northern California
WWU Posts Strong Performances on Thursday at APU
Seren Dances and Peyton Shinnick record program top-10 marks at Bryan Clay Invitational
Vikings Ink Point Guard Mollie Olson out of...
Olson averaged 17.8 points and 7.3 assists during her senior season to earn 2B All-State honors
Vikings Headed to Bryan Clay Invitational and...
WWU competes Wednesday through Saturday at APU (April 18-20) and LBSU (April 20-21)
Softball Takes to the Road for Five GNAC Games
WWU returns to action Friday night vs. Montana State Billings in Portland
Softball Adds Game Friday vs. MSUB in Portland
Game will serve as makeup contest from snowed out March 31 game in Billings
WWU Earns Team Titles at SMU Jay Hammer Meet
Vikings claim six event wins, four marks added to program top-10 lists on Saturday
Vikings Race at Falcon Regatta in Seattle
WWU's Varsity 4+ makes season debut with 2nd-place finish
WWU Rowing Heads to Falcon Regatta in Seattle
WWU will race three boats in tri-regatta against Central Oklahoma and Seattle Pacific
- Top Videos