INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS AND LEARNING:
EXCELLENCE WITH INTEGRITY
Teaching and learning at Western Washington University link the classroom to all aspects of student life, including intercollegiate athletics. The mission of intercollegiate athletics at Western is three-fold:
- To compete in a broad spectrum of sports at the highest competitive NCAA Division II levels attainable;
- To compete with integrity, and;
- To link athletics participation to all aspects of learning within the University
These principles shall guide the administration and implementation of Western Washington University's intercollegiate athletics program:
1. To conduct the athletics program ethically within the spirit and letter of institutional, conference and NCAA rules and regulations.
2. To establish and maintain an environment in which athletic activities are conducted as an integral part of the student-athlete's academic experience.
3. To establish and maintain an environment that values cultural diversity and gender equity among student-athletes and intercollegiate department staff.
4. To protect the health of and provide a safe environment for student-athletes.
5. To establish and maintain an environment that fosters a positive relationship between student-athletes and coaches.