Men's Soccer Opens GNAC Play with 3-2 Win over Saint Martin's

Sept. 21, 2017

Box Score

BELLINGHAM, Wash. - The Western Washington University men's soccer team scored once in the first half and twice in the second half for a lead and held off Saint Martin's after the Saints netted two goals over the last 10 minutes of the game en route to a 3-2 win on Thursday evening at Harrington Field in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference opener for both teams.

The Vikings improved to 2-2-2 overall and will travel to Seattle Pacific on Saturday to continue the conference schedule. Saint Martin's dropped to 0-6-0 with its fourth consecutive defeat by a deficit of one goal.

WWU grabbed a 1-0 lead in the 37th minute when senior midfielder Luke Olney (Enumclaw, WA) received a cross from junior defender Stephen Jinneman (Redmond, WA) in the right side of the 18-yard box and finished to the far post from 7 yards away. It was the second goal of the season for Olney.

The Vikings doubled their advantage during the 60th minute as freshman forward Drew Farnsworth (Auckland, New Zealand/Westlake Boys) scored his first collegiate goal with an assist from junior forward Jose Castillo (Bellevue, WA/Interlake). Castillo found Farnsworth with a through ball pass from near the top of the 18-yard box and Farnsworth blasted his shot into the upper-right corner of the goal from the right side of the box for a 2-0 lead.

Freshman midfielder Georg Cholewa (Leipzig, Germany/Sportgymnasium Chemnitz) gave WWU a 3-0 lead in the 78th minute, scoring to the near post with a one-touch finish from 5 yards away. Senior forward Anthony Dean (Amsterdam, The Netherlands/Bellevue College) sent a pass from the center of the field out to senior forward Kyle Danielson (Des Moines, WA/Mount Rainier/Highline CC) who had space to deliver a low cross to the feet of Cholewa for the goal.

The Saints played a man down from the 33rd minute onward after midfielder Sebastian Navarro received his second yellow card of the game, resulting in a red card. Saint Martin's forward Will Eldred was also issued a red card during the 67th minute and the Saints were left with 9 players on the field from that point forward, but still were able to score a pair of goals and create a tight finish.

Defender McKray Kohn erased the shutout in the 81st minute, stealing a loose ball from the backline of the WWU defense and scoring from 7 yards away. The Saints quickly cut the deficit to one goal on a penalty kick goal, scored by Brandon Madsen, in the 83rd minute.

Saint Martin's was awarded a final corner kick in the closing seconds of the game but time expired with the buzzer sounding just after Saints players in the box jumped and contacted the cross with a header.

The Vikings held a 15-5 edge in total shots and an 8-2 advantage in shots on goal for the game, and took 6 corner kicks compared with 5 for the Saints. WWU nearly scored two additional goals, first when an offside penalty prevented what appeared to be a goal in the first half and in another instance when Farnsworth fired a shot off the crossbar in the 71st minute.

WWU faces Seattle Pacific on Saturday night with a 7 pm start time. Following Saturday's game, WWU will play at Concordia next Saturday (Sept. 30) before returning home for a stretch of four consecutive home games. 

Olney (37') - Stephen Jinneman assist
Farnsworth (60') - Jose Castillo assist
Cholewa (78') - Anthony Dean, Kyle Danielson assists
Kohn (81') - unassisted
Madsen (83') - Penalty kick

WWU Men's Soccer

Vikings Photos


Partners and Sponsors