WWU Nets Golden Goal in 3-2 Comeback Win Over SPU

Sept. 23, 2017

Box Score

SEATTLE, Wash. -- Junior defender Stephen Jinneman scored a golden goal with a header in the 93rd minute as the visiting Western Washington University men's soccer team completed a comeback to claim a 3-2 overtime victory against Seattle Pacific on Saturday evening in Great Northwest Athletic Conference action at Interbay Stadium.

WWU improved to 3-2-2 overall and 2-0-0 in GNAC play while Seattle Pacific dropped to 4-2-1 overall and 0-1-1 in conference action. The win brought the Vikings into a tie with Montana State Billings atop the conference standings early in the GNAC schedule, and also extended WWU's unbeaten streak to five games while snapping Seattle Pacific's five-game unbeaten streak.

Jinneman (Redmond, WA) was on the receiving end of a long cross from junior midfielder Garrett Strawn (Sammamish, WA/Skyline) for the golden goal in the 93rd minute as Strawn sent a high-arching pass from the left side of the field into the 18-yard box. Jinneman cut into the box from the right side and headed the ball into the net in front of the oncoming Seattle Pacific goalkeeper from 10 yards away, sparking an on-field celebration by the Vikings.

It was the second career goal for Jinneman, whose first career goal was an iconic golden goal header last season to give the Vikings a 3-2 win in overtime against Dixie State in the first round of the 2016 NCAA II Tournament. Strawn recorded his second career assist on Saturday's golden goal, and first of the season.

The Vikings scored in the 74th and 87th minutes to force overtime after the Falcons had scored early goals in the 5th and 24th minutes for a 2-0 lead.

Senior forward Anthony Dean (Amsterdam, The Netherlands/Bellevue College) scored WWU's first goal with a free kick from 21 yards away, sending his shot from the left side of the field to the right post for his conference-leading sixth goal of the season in the 74th minute.

The 2-1 lead for the Falcons stood until the 87th minute when freshman forward Drew Farnsworth (Auckland, New Zealand/Westlake Boys) netted his second goal of the season, scoring from 8 yards away into an empty net.

Seattle Pacific had taken a 1-0 lead in the 5th minute with a goal from midfielder Sam Malloch, who found space in the box with an assist from midfielder Trevor Lee to score from 11 yards away. The second goal for the Falcons came via a penalty kick, scored by forward Samuel Agyei in the 24th minute to the right side of the net as senior goalkeeper Tyler Visten (Mount Vernon, WA/Skagit Valley College) dove in the opposite direction.

The Vikings held a 16-7 advantage in total shots on Saturday night, putting 5 shots on goal while the Falcons put 3 shots on goal.

WWU took a season-high 11 corner kicks in the game, including 8 in the first half, while holding Seattle Pacific to 2 corner kicks during the game.

Visten finished with 1 save while Falcons goalkeeper Kary Whitney made 2 saves.

Saturday's game marked the third consecutive overtime game between WWU and Seattle Pacific as well as the fifth overtime game for the Vikings during the 2017 season, who defeated Seattle Pacific for the first time since 2012. Both games between the Vikings and Falcons played in 2016 ended in a tie after double overtime. Seattle Pacific played their third consecutive overtime game during 2017 on Saturday after most recently tying No. 2 Simon Fraser, 1-1 ,after double overtime on Thursday.  

WWU returns to action next Saturday, traveling to face Concordia (Ore.) at 7 pm in Portland, Ore. Following that contest, WWU will play four consecutive conference games at home, beginning with another match against Seattle Pacific on Oct. 5 (7:30 pm).


Malloch (5') -- Trevor Lee assist

Agyei (24') -- Penalty kick

Dean (74') -- Free kick

Farnsworth (87') -- unassisted

Jinneman (93') -- Garrett Strawn assist


Vikings Photos


Partners and Sponsors