WWU topples No.2 Simon Fraser, 3-0

Tye Hastings

Nov. 9, 2013

Box Score

BELLINGHAM, Wash. - Tye Hastings (Jr., Mill Creek/Jackson ) and Andrew Weishaar (Sr., Puyallup) each had a goal and an assist as Western Washington University scored three times in the first 14 minutes to stun nationaly ranked Simon Fraser University, 3-0, on Saturday in a regular-season concluding Great Northwest Conference men's soccer contest at Orca Field on the Whatcom CC campus.

The triumph is the sixth in the last seven games for the Vikings, who conclude the regular season 11-4-3 overall and 9-2-3 in the GNAC and still have a slim chance of earning a first-ever berth in the NCAA Division II National Tournament.

SFU, ranked No.2 in this week's National Soccer Coaches Association of America/NCAA Division II Top 25 Poll, fell to 15-2-1 overall. The Clan, now 11-2-1 in the GNAC, had already clinched the conference championship.

Leonard Kusina (So., Fairbault, MN/Shattuck-St. Mary's) opened the scoring just 2:21 into the contest, getting a through ball from Hastings just ahead of SFU goalkeeper Brandon Watson and tapping the ball in from 11 yards with his first touch.

The Vikings doubled their lead just after the five-minute mark, as Weishaar rose up to head home from 10 yards off a Jeremy Wentzel corner (So., Edmonds/Edmonds-Woodway).

Hastings completed the scoring at 13:37. Kusina played a ball in from the right to Weishaar, whose shot was saved, but Hastings headed the ball down and tapped it in from the goal mouth.

"We had a little different game plan that what we've done all year and it worked," said WWU coach Greg Brisbon. "But it's not about the plan, the guys worked hard and they executed. It's a fantastic win for these guys and for the program."

Kusina, who had started just once in the last nine games, moved from his customary wide position to start at forward, and Weishaar, WWU's leading scorer on the season after notching his 10th goal, moved wide.

"Lenny and Tye did a great job of pressuring in the center, and Andrew playing in the midfield won a lot of battles," said Brisbon.

Simon Fraser still ended up with a 16-10 advantage in shot attempts, including a 10-2 gap in the second half, but Keegan Rogers (Jr., Portland, OR/Portland Christian) made three saves to notch his seventh shutout.

The toughest save came in the 61st minute, when Rogers tipped a shot by Chris Bargholz around the left post. The Clan's best chance of the first half was in the 16th minute, when Carlo Basso hit the base of the post from 20 yards.

The triumph is WWU's first over SFU since 2008. The Clan had won eight of the last nine meetings, with one match tied.

Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013
Bellingham, Wash., Orca Field, Whatcom CC

Western Washington 3, Simon Fraser 0 Scoring - 1. WWU, Leonard Kusina (Tye Hastings), 2:21; 2. Andrew Weishaar (Jeremy Wentzel), 5:02; 3. Hastings (Weishaar), 13:37.

Shots - WWU 10, SFU 16. Saves - WWU 3 (Keegan Rogers 3); SFU 3 (Brandon Watson 3) Corner kicks - WWU 6, SFU 2 Fouls - WWU 22, SFU 8

Attendance: 195


Vikings Photos


Partners and Sponsors